Ever get a sudden tightness in your upper shoulders and neck area? That’s sometimes called a “crick” in the neck. Learn more about what it means to suffer from a crick in the neck, how to identify it, and some tips for treating it with chiropractic care.
Contact Peak Chiropractic to schedule an appointment in our Celebration, FL office today.
What Exactly is a Crick in the Neck?
Unlike general neck pain, a crick in the neck feels distinctly like your neck is misaligned. There may be an intense sensation that something is off, as if you need to snap it back into place. One of the worst aspects of the condition is how it limits your mobility—the sense of stiffness can make it difficult to perform common movements. For this reason, it’s important to treat a crick as soon as you notice it—before your mobility becomes further impaired.
Although pain may or may not be present, these symptoms are typically associated with a crick in the neck:
- A tight, stiff feeling in the neck and surrounding muscles
- Your neck may pop when moved to certain angles
- Mobility will be reduced in the neck and shoulders
Discover common causes of cricks and how you can avoid them:
- “Tech Neck”. The vast majority of adults and teens own smartphones, and we spend a surprising amount of time tilting our necks downward to look at them. This particular motion can cause a crick and other symptoms, and it is so common that it’s become known as “tech neck”. To avoid it, try to limit your phone time, or position your phone so that you are not craning your neck to view it.
- Sleep Angles. Ever wake up with your neck feeling tight and crooked? Falling asleep with your neck positioned at an unusual angle can leave you with a serious crick in your neck when you wake up. Most likely, this will go away as the day goes on, but if it persists, it may require treatment. To avoid this, try to be mindful of how you position your neck before you go to sleep, careful to keep your neck aligned with your spine.
- Stress can cause your muscles in your neck and throughout your body to tighten. Exercise, healthy living, and meditation can help with stress management.
- Poor Posture. Those with office jobs or others that require hours in a seated position may suffer from poor posture. This can take a toll on your neck, leading to a wide variety of symptoms. To avoid these issues, try to be mindful of your posture throughout your day. There are effective posture correction tools on the market as well.
Consider Chiropractic Therapy
Chiropractic therapy can offer highly effective solutions for your neck tightness and related symptoms, including:
- Chiropractic Adjustments. Using innovative Ultralign adjustment technology, we can make subtle adjustments to your spine that you can see on a monitor, realigning your neck and restoring your mobility. Learn more.
- Spinal Decompression. Spinal decompression can relieve tension in your neck by gently stretching and realigning your spine. Learn more.
- Massage Therapy. Our innovative massage services can ease the tension that comes from the crick in your neck and relax your surrounding muscles. Learn more.
Make An Appointment
Whether your neck symptoms involve pain or not, they’re probably impacting your ability to do the things you love. Before resorting to medications which may be addictive, try chiropractic treatments for your neck pain. Chiropractic care specializes in healing the back, neck, and spine, and many of our treatments may be effective solutions to the symptoms you’re feeling. Contact us to schedule an appointment in our Celebration, FL office today.